Forum

Question - how to d...

Notifications
Clear all

Question - how to denote a chord being strummed in number notation?

Seven
(@seven)
Active Kalimbist

Hey y’all! I’m trying to write my first cover, and I’m having some trouble actually writing it. For example a part of the song calls for 2 4 6 (D F A, I think it’s the D chord? But I’m still very new to all this, so I’m sorry if I’m wrong!) to be strummed, and I’m having trouble conveying you need to strum the tines instead of plunking them one at a time, or plucking them all at the same time.

Sorry if this doesn’t make any sense, I don’t think I’m finding the right words here :p

Topic starter Posted : 03/01/2021 1:47 am
Topic Tags
Nataliya
(@admin)
Kalimba Advocate Admin

@Seven - check this post here and let me know if it helps please 

Owner of Kalimbera.com and KalimbaForum.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2021 1:51 am
Arlene Kao and Seven liked
Seven
(@seven)
Active Kalimbist

@admin Hi, thank you for your response! Unfortunately the post didn’t help - I’m wondering how to write chords in numbered notation, rather than playing them, if that makes sense? I already know I want to strum the D chord (2 4 6), I’m just trying to figure out how to best write that down for future reference/to share with others (in numbered notation). Unless I missed something in the post, which I’m very sorry if so 😥

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/01/2021 2:04 am
Nataliya liked
Seven
(@seven)
Active Kalimbist

*D major chord, not d chord 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Seven
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/01/2021 2:06 am
Nataliya liked
Nataliya
(@admin)
Kalimba Advocate Admin

Perhaps try this

Owner of Kalimbera.com and KalimbaForum.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2021 2:07 am
PensionerPosse
(@pensionerposse)
Eminent Kalimbist

If you mean playing the notes of a chord in quick succession, I believe it's called an arpeggio.

Arpeggio

A broken chord is a chord broken into a sequence of notes. A broken chord may repeat some of the notes from the chord and span one or more octaves. An arpeggio is a type of broken chord, in which the notes that compose a chord are played or sung in a rising or descending order.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2021 11:41 am
Nataliya liked
PensionerPosse
(@pensionerposse)
Eminent Kalimbist

I don't seem to be able to edit my post so I'll add this here.

https://www.musictheoryacademy.com/understanding-music/arpeggios/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2021 11:45 am
Nataliya liked
alpobc
(@alpobc)
Eminent Kalimbist
Posted by: @seven

Hey y’all! I’m trying to write my first cover, and I’m having some trouble actually writing it. For example a part of the song calls for 2 4 6 (D F A, I think it’s the D chord? But I’m still very new to all this, so I’m sorry if I’m wrong!) to be strummed, and I’m having trouble conveying you need to strum the tines instead of plunking them one at a time, or plucking them all at the same time.

Sorry if this doesn’t make any sense, I don’t think I’m finding the right words here :p

So normally when a chord is written, it is up to the player to choose how to play it. DFA is D minor BTW, if it was D major it would be D F# A. In number notation I've seen chords written inside parentheses, I've also seen notation with notes in parentheses enclosed with other notes in square brackets, no clue what that means. You could underline the chord notes or use an arrow and make a legend indicating a strum/glide. In standard notation a vertical squiggly line is a symbol for arpeggio, in guitar and ukulele an arrow up or down is sometimes used to indicate the direction of the strum.

To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.
~Ludwig van Beethoven

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2021 6:32 am
Nataliya liked
PensionerPosse
(@pensionerposse)
Eminent Kalimbist

Maybe D_F_A or D-F-A without brackets, chords tend to be written (D F A) or [D F A] from what I've seen so far.

Kalimba seems to be a modern phenomena, so we need to find a way to standardize tabbing it out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2021 10:25 am
Nataliya liked
alpobc
(@alpobc)
Eminent Kalimbist

Type the notes in the order to be played and underline them, put a note on the sheet that underlined chords are to be strummed.

~Ludwig van Beethoven

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2021 9:39 pm
Nataliya liked
Saskia
(@saskia)
Active Kalimbist

bei uns werden diese "Slides" mit einer Wellenlinie vor den Noten / Zahlen markiert. Somit weiß man, dass man über die Zungen rutschen muss und nicht einzeln anschlagen.

1024px Music arpeggio.svg

Liebe Grüße von Saskia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2021 3:31 pm
Nataliya and alpobc liked
alpobc
(@alpobc)
Eminent Kalimbist

@saskia a lot of 'tabs' are written horizonatally i.e. C F G (CEG) etc. The parentheses indicate a chord, but not how it is played. I think if written (CEG) then it is struck, if written (CEG) then strummed or glissando.

~Ludwig van Beethoven

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2021 11:00 pm
Nataliya liked
Saskia
(@saskia)
Active Kalimbist

eigentlich gibt eine unterstrichene Note eine Halbierung der Notenlänge an

• ohne Unterstriche und ohne Striche danach: Viertelnote
  • Eine Unterstreichung: Achtelnote
  • Zwei Unterstreichungen: Sechzehntelnote

https://de.linkfang.org/wiki/Chinesische_Ziffernnotation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbered_musical_notation   (Note length)

ich sehe schon - hier gibt es leider keine Weltweit einheitliche Schreibweise.

Liebe Grüße von Saskia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2021 11:37 am
Nataliya liked
alpobc
(@alpobc)
Eminent Kalimbist

@saskia you are correct if it is Jianpu, but most user created tab is just text. Some word processors do single or double underline, not sure if any can do triple underline. One could possibly use ⌇ along with the parentheses like ⌇(CEG) to indicate a strum.

~Ludwig van Beethoven

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2021 11:57 pm
Nataliya liked
Share: